July 16, 2013

Ramadan 2013: Slow it down

This post will be a little different then my usual ones. I hope that you enjoy reading it, and please comment if you have any questions or feedback! I wanted to give my thoughts on prayer which occurred to me while I was in the midst of my last prayer. I don't know if I could call this advice, I just want to put this out there because I believe that at least even one person can relate. 



Photo Credit: Tavila Disha Haque. July 22, 2012



I hope this does not get any negative backlash, but I thought I would share something that I experienced today while praying Taraweeh Salah.

I usually pray quickly, as if it is a task on a to-do list, something that just has to be done because we were told. I have been doing that for a really long time, but today I prayed differently. I decided to clear my mind, pray with a little more consciousness, really get into the heart of actually praying and taking my time to do so. And let me tell you, it felt great at the end, very rewarding.

Whenever I finish a yoga session, I hear a lot of people saying that they feel so great and have this sense of a 'rewarding feeling' when they leave. I am definitely guilty of saying it myself,  I really do feel that way. Today, after praying, I felt that same way. I know that some people may not agree with my thought process on this one, but it's worked for me so I know it will work for at least one other person out there.

I took what I am told at yoga and applied to to praying my last Salah of the day. I decided that today, even though I was a bit tired, I could take my time and pray. While starting to pray, I decided to clear my head and make myself understand that my list of things I have to do the next day will still be there when I am done. I prayed at my pace. What was I really rushing for anyway? All I planned on doing after praying was just playing games on my phone and really, that could wait.

I told myself I will focus on ensuring that I do three things. I will clear my head while praying, be in the present and not think about all the things I have to do later, those could be left aside and picked up once I was done. I also made sure to sit after praying and use that time to supplicate and make Dua. There have been countless times where I have prayed and then got up and finished. I didn't even make any Dua after spending all that time praying. All I had to do is sit there and ask for anything I am in need of and be thankful for what I have. After I finished praying, I did just that, I got myself to sit for a while longer and appreciate what I have and supplicate. When you finish yoga, you are told to stay when it's done, and try to push yourself to stay a little while longer. This last part lets you cool down and end in a relaxing way. I felt this same sensation of relaxation when I was done. I left the prayer mat feeling rewarded and very pleased with how I had spent my 45 minutes.

Now I understand that this is the way that we have been told to pray, but many of us forget that. We are all busy, have things to do and places to be. When I can take the time out to go commute to my yoga class, spend two hours there and commute back home, I am sure that I am not too busy to spend a little more time and effort into praying.

I know this post is a little different than usual, but I really felt like I should share it and possibly inspire at least one other person. I felt so good at the end and hope that others can feel this way after praying as well. Remember that you will never have time for anything if you don't make it.

-Tasneem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pintrest "pin it"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...