December 16, 2012

DIY Chalkboard Frame


I made this cute Gold Framed blackboard in a matter of minutes. All it took was a few materials and very little time. I didn't take a photo of all the steps because it was not necessary. This project cost me about $5 because I only paid for the chalkboard paint.

You will need:
  • An old frame (from a Thrift store or on a curb side like I did!)
  • Black Chalkboard Paint
  • Black Acrylic Paint
  • Paint Brush

My original framed image contained a matted painting that was timely and old. I took one look at the frame and fell in love with the gold and black trimming. I saw it on a curb, someone was getting rid of it and I immediately thought I would be able to do something with it. I decided that turning an old frame into a chalkboard would be really easy with the Martha Stewart Chalkboard paint that I purchased for about $5.99. 



First I used the black acrylic paint to cover the old painting and although the matte on the frame was white I still covered it with black acrylic to have a uniform look. Once this was dry, everything was black and covered up.

The next thing I did was covered the frame in the black Martha Stewart chalkboard paint. I coated it with one layer and let it dry for one hour and then applied a second coat. I let it dry for about 12 hours although it was very tempting to write on it right away, I had to hold off for the paint to cure. 

That was it. An easy way to turn an old frame into a chalkboard! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pintrest "pin it"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...